Associated Press
Nov 10, 2025, 04:10 PM ET
BOSTON — Cleveland Guardians pitcher Luis Ortiz appeared in federal court Monday on charges accusing him and teammate Emmanuel Clase of taking bribes to help associates in their native Dominican Republic win prop bets placed on pitches they threw.
U.S. Magistrate Judge Donald Cabell in Boston granted Ortiz his release but with several conditions, including that he surrender his passport, restrict his travel to the Northeast and post a $500,000 bail, $50,000 of it secured. He also was ordered to avoid contact with anyone who could be viewed as a victim, a witness or a co-defendant in the case.
Ortiz, dressed in a pale green tracksuit, did not speak in court. His lawyers declined to speak to reporters after the brief hearing.
According to the indictment against the two, unsealed Sunday, Ortiz and Clase took several thousand dollars in payoffs to help two unnamed gamblers in the Dominican Republic win at least $460,000 on bets placed on the speed and outcome of certain pitches, including some that landed in the dirt.
Clase, who was the Guardians’ closer, and Ortiz, a starter, have been on non-disciplinary paid leave since July, when Major League Baseball began investigating what it described as unusually high in-game betting activity when the two pitched. Some of the games in question were in April, May and June.
Ortiz, 26, was arrested Sunday by the FBI at Boston Logan International Airport. Clase, 27, is believed to be outside the U.S., according to a law enforcement official who was not authorized to speak publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity.
“Integrity, honesty and fair play are part of the DNA of professional sports,” U.S. Attorney Joseph Nocella Jr. said Sunday. “When corruption infiltrates the sport, it brings disgrace not only to the participants but damages the public trust in an institution that is vital and dear to all of us.”
Ortiz’s lawyer, Chris Georgalis, said in a statement Sunday that his client is innocent and “has never, and would never, improperly influence a game — not for anyone and not for anything.” Georgalis said Ortiz’s defense team previously documented for prosecutors that the payments and money transfers between him and individuals in the Dominican Republic were for legal activities.
MLB said it contacted federal law enforcement when it began investigating unusual betting activity and has fully cooperated with authorities. “We are aware of the indictment and today’s arrest, and our investigation is ongoing,” the league said.
In a statement, the Guardians said: “We are aware of the recent law enforcement action. We will continue to fully cooperate with both law enforcement and Major League Baseball as their investigations continue.”
Clase and Ortiz are each charged with wire fraud conspiracy, honest services wire fraud conspiracy, money laundering conspiracy and conspiracy to influence sporting contests by bribery. The top charges carry a potential punishment of up to 20 years in prison.
In one example cited in the indictment, Clase allegedly invited a bettor to a game against the Boston Red Sox in April and spoke with him by phone just before taking the mound. Four minutes later, the indictment said, the bettor and his associates won $11,000 on a wager that Clase would throw a certain pitch slower than 97.95 mph.
Clase, a three-time All-Star and two-time American League Reliever of the Year, had a $4.5 million salary in 2025, the fourth season of a $20 million, five-year contract. Prosecutors said the three-time AL saves leader began providing bettors with information about his pitches in 2023 but didn’t ask for payoffs until this year.
Prosecutors said Ortiz, who had a $782,600 salary this year, joined the scheme in June and is accused of rigging pitches in games against the Seattle Mariners and the St. Louis Cardinals.
The charges are the latest developments in a federal crackdown on betting in professional sports. Last month, more than 30 people, including prominent basketball figures such as Portland Trail Blazers coach Chauncey Billups and Miami Heat guard Terry Rozier, were arrested in a gambling sweep that rocked the NBA.


