By Matt Gault
BBC Sport NI senior journalist
Before Portugal’s World Cup qualifying defeat by the Republic of Ireland, Cristiano Ronaldo said he would “try to be a good boy” to keep Irish fans off his back. In the heat of battle, however, the 40-year-old ensured he joined the ranks of pantomime villains at Aviva Stadium.
With Portugal trailing 2-0 to Troy Parrott’s first-half double, Ronaldo clashed with Dara O’Shea in the Irish penalty area on the hour mark. Jostling for position as he awaited a cross, he shoved his elbow into O’Shea’s back, sending the Ipswich defender tumbling and prompting a strong reaction from Irish players and fans.
Referee Glenn Nyberg initially showed Ronaldo a yellow card, but after being urged to review the incident on the pitch-side monitor by the video assistant referee, the Swedish official upgraded it to a red. Frustrated, Ronaldo sarcastically applauded the Irish fans and exchanged words with Republic of Ireland boss Heimir Hallgrimsson as he left the pitch.
Maybe I got in Ronaldo’s head — Hallgrimsson
The red card capped an unexpected spat between Ronaldo and Hallgrimsson. Ronaldo had fond memories of Dublin — 16 years earlier he played his first game for Real Madrid in a pre-season friendly at the Aviva — and had said it was “lovely” to be back. But he also accused the Irish boss of mind games after Hallgrimsson urged referees not to be influenced by the five-time Ballon d’Or winner. Hallgrimsson had previously suggested Ronaldo had “controlled the referee” in a match last October in which he missed a penalty.
On Sunday, Hallgrimsson said: “It was his action on the pitch that cost him the red card. It had nothing to do with me — unless I got into his head.” Asked if he spoke to Ronaldo after the game, he added: “No, I think we spoke enough when he came off. There was nothing to speak about. This was just a moment of a little silliness from him, I would say.”
Martinez defends Ronaldo
Portugal manager Roberto Martinez defended his captain and criticised Hallgrimsson’s pre-match comments. Martinez noted Ronaldo had never been sent off in 226 international games and said he thought the dismissal was harsh.
“He was 60 minutes or 58 minutes in the box being grabbed, being pulled, being pushed and obviously when he tries to get away from the defender,” Martinez said. “I think the action looks worse than what it actually is, I don’t think it’s an elbow, I think it’s a full body, but from where the camera is, it looks like an elbow. But we accept it.”
He added that Hallgrimsson’s remarks about referees left a “bitter taste” after a centre-half fell dramatically at the turn of Ronaldo’s body.
What happens to Ronaldo?
Ronaldo will definitely miss Sunday’s final qualifier against Armenia. He also faces the possibility of a three-match ban for violent conduct. FIFA’s disciplinary code specifies suspensions of “at least three matches” for assault, including elbowing. If given a three-match suspension and Portugal qualify automatically for the World Cup, Ronaldo would miss the first two group games next summer. If Portugal go into the play-offs, any ban could be served during those ties. A disciplinary committee will decide his fate.
Regardless of the disciplinary outcome, it was a dramatic and controversial return to Dublin for one of football’s biggest stars.


