Tottenham Hotspur are in discussions with Roberto de Zerbi as they seek a permanent head coach, sources say. Igor Tudor left the club by mutual consent on Sunday after just 44 days in charge. Chief executive Vinai Venkatesham and sporting director Johan Lange have been tasked with finding his successor. The decision to part company followed last Sunday’s 3-0 home defeat by Nottingham Forest, a result that left Spurs only one point above the relegation zone; the club had given Tudor time to grieve after the death of his father.
De Zerbi, who became available after his departure from Marseille earlier this season, is understood to be Tottenham’s primary target. Spurs made early approaches to gauge his interest even before Tudor’s exit was announced. Multiple sources told BBC Sport that de Zerbi was receptive to the role but had preferred to wait until the end of the season to see whether Tottenham remained in the Premier League.
Talks are now reported to be progressing to determine whether an agreement can be reached for the remaining seven Premier League fixtures. It is believed the club would aim to offer the former Brighton manager a long-term contract.
Some supporters’ groups have expressed opposition to appointing de Zerbi because of his public defence of former Manchester United striker Mason Greenwood. Greenwood, 24, joined de Zerbi at Marseille in 2023 after criminal charges against him were dropped. While at Marseille, de Zerbi described Greenwood as a “good guy” who had paid a “heavy price” for his past, comments that have drawn criticism. Proud Lilywhites, Spurs’ official LGBTQ+ supporters’ group, said that a public defence framed in a way that downplays what happened sends an important signal beyond the individual case.
Other candidates remain under consideration. Former Nottingham Forest manager Sean Dyche, who is available after his February sacking, is viewed as a short-term option given his record of keeping teams up, although he would reportedly want a minimum 18-month contract. Mauricio Pochettino remains popular with supporters because of his previous successful spell at the club, but his commitments to the USA national team ahead of this summer’s World Cup would make an immediate return difficult.
Figures with existing Tottenham ties — including Ryan Mason, Harry Redknapp and Tim Sherwood — are said to be open to interim roles until the end of the season; current player Ben Davies has also been mentioned as a short-term stopgap. Former Spurs players Glenn Hoddle and Chris Hughton have been suggested as possible interim appointments as well.
Ex-Monaco coach Adi Hutter had been linked to the role but appears to have ruled himself out. In a statement to Sky Sports Austria, he reiterated his position after leaving the French club in October 2025, saying he would prefer not to return as a head coach until the start of the new season at the earliest.