Tiger Woods announced Tuesday that he is stepping away from golf “for a period of time to seek treatment and focus on my health,” four days after a single-vehicle rollover crash near his Florida home led to his arrest on suspicion of DUI and for refusing to submit to a lawful test.
In a statement posted to his social accounts, the 50-year-old, 15-time major champion said the break is necessary to prioritize his well-being and work toward lasting recovery. He said he is committed to taking the time needed to return stronger and asked for privacy for his family and himself.
Court records show Woods entered a not-guilty plea Tuesday to misdemeanor charges of DUI with property damage and refusal to submit to a lawful test. Attorney Douglas Duncan filed the plea and a demand for a jury trial in Martin County Circuit Court in Stuart, Florida; Woods waived an arraignment that had been scheduled for April 23.
Woods last played on the PGA Tour in July 2024, missing the cut at the Open Championship after several injuries in recent years. He had been preparing for a possible return at next week’s Masters at Augusta National, where he is a five-time winner, and had been set to participate in a ceremony and the Champions Dinner. Augusta National said it fully supports Woods as he focuses on his health and that, although he will not attend in person, his presence will be felt. The PGA Tour also expressed support, calling Woods a legend of the sport and emphasizing concern for his health; CEO Brian Rolapp said Woods has the Tour’s full respect as he takes this step.
Martin County deputies say Woods’ Range Rover clipped a trailer being towed by a truck that slowed to turn into a driveway; the SUV swerved, rolled onto its side and slid down the road. Authorities say Woods exited the vehicle through a passenger window. According to the arrest affidavit, Woods told deputies he had been looking down at his cellphone and changing the radio and did not see the truck slow.
Deputy Tatiana Levenar reported that Woods was sweating heavily and moving slowly during the interview, with bloodshot, glassy eyes and very dilated pupils after removing sunglasses. The affidavit says Woods told deputies he had taken prescription pills earlier that morning; the medication names were redacted. A second deputy later found two hydrocodone pills in Woods’ left pants pocket.
A breathalyzer reportedly showed no alcohol, but Woods refused to provide a urine or blood sample for other drug testing, the sheriff’s office said. Because of Woods’ medical history, Levenar had him perform four seated field sobriety tests on a police cruiser bumper; she concluded based on her training and observations that his normal faculties were impaired and he could not safely operate the vehicle. Woods told deputies he has had seven back surgeries and more than 20 operations on his right leg following a serious 2021 crash in Los Angeles County, and that he limps and his ankle sometimes “seizes.” He was allowed to sit for the rest of the investigation.
After the arrest Woods was taken to Cleveland Clinic ER South but declined medical treatment and was brought to the Martin County Jail; he was released Friday night on $1,000 bond.
Woods’ legal history includes a 2017 arrest in which he was found asleep at the wheel and later pleaded guilty to reckless driving, entered a diversion program and sought treatment for prescription drug issues. In 2021 he suffered major leg injuries when his vehicle rolled multiple times; he underwent emergency surgery for open fractures and was hospitalized for about three weeks.
Off the course, Woods serves as chairman of the PGA Tour’s Future Competition Committee and is a player director on several Tour governance boards. The Tour reiterated its concern for his well-being as he steps away to seek treatment.

